Locus Magazine, Issue #788, September 2026 by Liza Groen TrombiMy rating: 0 of 5 stars
This is a 3-star review. Maybe 2.5 stars.
Having been critical of Locus recently, I thought I owed it to them to have another experience with their product.
I found one book that I want to buy at some point in the future. Score 1 for Locus! Little else was attractive to me.
The reviews/commentary wandered a bit into the identitarian sphere on occasion. It appears that they have a cadre of favorite sons and daughters. Those authors were heavily reviewed.
One piece was written by a Democrat. Not a problem on its own, but the lack of viewpoint diversity throughout the magazine was obvious.
Cory Doctorow continues to be less than impressive. I'm being kind. He seems to consider ancient Rome to be a villain who owes reparations for something or another. Among other whims in his article.
The larger point is that if one is to stake out a position as an authoritative voice for genre fiction, one should purposefully seek to avoid favoring one's personal friends, families, and favorites. They don't. Their choice.
I wish them well. I also wish they had less influence on various genre awards.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment