Friday, November 12, 2021

Veteran Of The Year

I had the humbling experience of being named the "Jackson County Veteran of the Year" on Veterans Day this year.  These things don't happen in a vacuum.  While I'm sure I'm missing some folks, I do have some people that need to be thanked.

First and foremost, thank you to my beloved bride.  Sugarbear, the good things that happen in my life are all the result of the support that you continue to give me.  Being a military spouse is the second hardest job in the military and you do it so very well.  Being the spouse of a veteran is even harder.

Jackson used to have a Veterans of Foreign Wars Post - Donald L. Wheeler Jr. VFW 823 closed many years ago.  Those veterans welcomed me into their organization, made me a friend, and fostered my interest in being an active veteran.  They helped to raise our kids; I ran the bingo on Saturday nights and our kids helped to run the kitchen with a bunch of crusty vets.  I love and miss you all.

Thanks also go to the veterans of American Legion Post 252 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10194 in Grass Lake.  When I was looking for a new group of active veterans, you also welcomed me into your midst.  You lead by example by being active...and I mean really active...in the community.

Special thanks to two members of the Grass Lake veterans community.  While we don't see him very often these days, Bud Freysinger remains the heart and soul of our group; service, love, and unity in all we do.  Rex Murdock is the engine that powers our efforts.  He is the commander of both Posts and is involved in almost every community project that I can think of.  Thank you both for what you have done and what you continue to do.

Thanks to the Jackson County community of veterans organizations in Jackson County.  You provide the framework that allows individuals to go further and accomplish more.  

Lastly, while I doubt they will ever see this, I owe a great debt to my employers.  They have supported my efforts to serve veterans and promote veterans programs in ways both large and small.  My hope for every veteran is to have an employer that supports veteran employees; time off on Veterans Day to mark the day, making copies/printouts for veteran-related projects, donating to projects when asked.  This is the quiet sort of patriotism that our nation will always need.

On this occasion, I have a challenge for my fellow veterans.

If you are already involved with a veterans organization, then get busy looking for veterans that are not plugged into a veterans organization.  We lose roughly 22 veterans a day to suicide.  Our nation's veterans disproportionately suffer from homelessness.  The single most effective thing we can do is to create a connection that will allow us to reach out at the right time.  That same connection offers our fellow veterans a sense of purpose that can carry them through times where life seems purposeless.  Y'all did that for me.  Now do it for them.  Welcome those new members into your group.  Accept that they might want to do something other than "the way we've always done it".  

If you are a veteran that isn't involved in a veterans organization, then find one that suits your personality/life and dive in.  My oath of service to our nation didn't include an expiration date.  Neither did yours.  The time required is small, the rewards are huge.  Even if you only make a few meetings and march in a parade or two, your presence and participation are wanted.  Your time in the military made American a better country.  Your time spent in your local veteran organization will make your community better as well.  If you have never been asked before, then I'm asking now.

There are so many outstanding individuals that have received this award in years past.  Bud Freysinger, Rex Murdock, Dave Welihan, Reinold Yahnka...the list goes on and on.  I'm humbled to find myself in your number.

Thank you Jackson County for this honor.

click to embiggen the embiggeded dude



No comments: