Wednesday, April 6, 2022

A Quilt for Olivia

Our son Josh married his beloved bride, Kayla, last fall.  As circumstances would have it, bun number 2 was already in the oven!  

I haven't had much time to quilt over the last year.  I lost my quilting space during some home renovations.  I've got a new/better space now, but for a while, there just wasn't anyplace to work.

We've had some other changes in our lives that have also cut into my quilting time over the last few months.  But this is a grandbaby!  One must make time for such an occasion.

I have a nice little stash of Dr. Seuss fabrics.  I just haven't had the opportunity to use them.

Until now.  Click to embiggen any photos of interest.





The pattern is a modified log cabin design.  I call it "Log Cabin Deconstructed".

Instead of doing a more traditional layout (see Quilt #1 for a good representation of a more traditional layout), I modified the pattern with a larger 4" x 4" centerpiece and a semi-random distribution of fabrics.  The larger centerpiece was a bit of a crutch/time-saver as the first three pieces of a log cabin quilt are small.  Combining them into a single block helped move the project along.

I used a process that is related to the one used in the stained glass quilt that I made my mom to distribute the fabrics.  In this case, I sorted the fabrics so that no two adjacent pieces would use the same fabric.  I also shuffled the blocks as they were being added to the pile so that none of the finished blocks would have exactly the same arrangement of fabrics.

I'm pretty pleased with the result.  Once I had the quilt finished, the hard part was done and our grandbaby could arrive on schedule.

We are ecstatic with the arrival of Miss Olivia Gene Todd on April 6, 2022.



No comments: