Friday, December 18, 2020

A Quilt for Tracy

 This one won't go on Facebook until late in 2021.  Why?  Because my sister-in-law won't receive it until Christmas of 2021.  Don't ask me.  I just make 'em.

My beloved bride wanted me to make a quilt for my sister-in-law, Tracy.  She found some Michigan State fabric.  Apparently, Tracy is a fan.  Who knew!

I wasn't sure what I wanted to make and as time was short at the end of the year, I opted for a pretty standard approach.  I used a solid block of material alternated with a 9-patch of fabrics.  

We had four different fabrics.  I created a mix of three-square strips and then semi-randomly assembled sets of those strips into a 9-patch.

The result was pretty easy as well as visually interesting.




Now my beloved bride always thinks that the back of a quilt should be "soft".  "Soft" fabrics like flannel or fleece are a bear to work with as they aren't dimensionally stable.  They will stretch if pulled.  A stretch back means that the front will pucker when the back is allowed to relax.  Alternatively, if you don't have enough tension on the back, then it will pucker.

I'm not terribly happy with the back on this quilt.


In any case, don't anyone tell Tracy. We wouldn't want to ruin next year's Christmas for her!

A modest update.  Christmas 2021 came and went with the quilt not being presented.  Why, you may well ask.  Because I found out late in the season that a quilt was also needed for my other sister-in-law, Holly.  I just didn't have the time to get that second quilt completed.

But this is a new year and quilts have been gifted.  Here is Tracy with hers.

Tracy with her quilt.  Click to embiggen.









No comments: