Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What White People Gave The World

Courtesy of Megan McArdle, I now read Ta-Nehisi Coates on a regular basis.  In a recent blog, Ta-Nehisi indicated that he "studied white people".  After all, no one wants to be some sort of bigoted fool that doesn't know anything about other people.

Number One on his list???

1.) Dragonlance, Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman--This book was one of my earliest introductions to fantasy and thus to the limits (or lack of limits) of the imagination. I read Dragonlance before I read Tolkien, and was just amazed by the bigness of the world. All I wanted for my tenth birthday was to swing my sword like Caramon, and get a Tika on my side. Talk about the original ride-or-die chick. She is single-handedly responsible for the early onset of puberty amongst untold legions of geeks.
I was always a bit more of a Sturm Brightblade man myself.  But yeah, Tika is so hot that she could launch a thousand wet dreams just by walking into your average North Dakota prom.

No comments: