Sunday, April 12, 2020

Review: Kings of Paradise

Kings of Paradise Kings of Paradise by Richard Nell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Rated at 4 stars.  A 3.5-star rating is closer to my experience.  Detailed characters.  Check.  Broad world-building.  Check.  Interesting premise.  Check.

I still spent the last third of this book debating my rating and whether or not I would finish it.  By that point, this had become just another first book in a fantasy series.  It was good enough that I pushed through to the finish.

Magic is intimated in the first half of the book, but it doesn't really exist until the last half of the book.  And then it is just one character.  There is a matriarchal society which is a nice change of pace, but the justifications for it run a little thin by the end of the book.

We jump around between characters quite a bit.  We also jump through time quite a bit.  The combination is a bit more complicated than I wanted in a reading experience.

My recommendation is that you try the free section of the ebook first to see if it connects with you.  Otherwise, move on to something else.

View all my reviews

No comments: