Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Only Memory Doomed Not To Fade

I don't want it to be 9/11 anymore.  I don't want to think about people racing down choked staircases.  I don't want to think about firemen running up them.  I don't want to think about people deciding whether or not to take a 1300 foot fall or stay in a burning building.  I don't want to see the ones that jumped falling.  I don't want to imagine the ones that stayed.  I don't want to see those two buildings as they slowly implode; pancaking floor after floor until nothing is left but dust and smoke and the knowledge that utter meanness still walks the earth.

I want to go back to 9/10/2001 when the most significant issues of the day were Gary Condit, and the next iteration of "campaign finance reform".  I want to go back to wondering when the other shoe would drop.

Instead, I am doomed to remember.  Do you?


Or have you forgotten.

No comments: