Gavin

0

Posted on : 4/03/2012 07:00:00 AM | By : Dann | In :

Here is one quilt that I was especially pleased to complete.  Not only was it for some good friends, but it also presented a unique challenge. From 2008 we bring you another bit of quilting history.

I was pretty excited to get this next quilt done for a variety of reasons.

One reason is because of the material I used. The pattern of the material included a series of teddy bears, books, and smiling moons that looked a bit like a stuff set up on a child's shelf. This pattern ran along one edge. Above all the clutter was a broad expanse of deep blue with yellow stars. Then the bear/book/moon pattern ran along the opposite edge. You could fold this material down the middle and both sides looked the same.

Silly me, I took a perfectly good material pattern, cut it into strips, and sewed it back together.

The first cut was along each edge. I used those strips for the outside of the block.

The next cut was through the bears. That got used for the next strip towards the center.

The third cut went through the top of the bears. At that point, I started to get some of the stars and the night sky.

The fourth cut was mostly stars, but with enough bear head tops that I just put it in the scrap pile. That left a whole bunch of blue sky and stars from which I made the other half of the blocks.

Here's a picture of the material with the first cut already removed. I used all of the edges for the quilt. There's lots of other stuff left over.


The resulting block ended up looking like this. A close inspection reveals that I left off a couple of strips. The resulting blocks ended up being 12" x 12" rather than 14" x 14". That worked out well for the backing material.


The final result is below with the proud mama and papa to be. The border material was designed by the same person that designed the material used for the panels; Patty Reed. The blocks in the border material were almost the perfect height to provide a 2 inch border.

The second reason I was excited about this project is the stitching used to "quilt" everything together. I was getting kind of bored with just running straight lines down the seams....otherwise known as stitch-in-the-ditch....as well as straight lines across the corners.

To ease my boredom, I bought an 18" wooden embroidery hoop and a chalking tool. I used the chalking tool to trace the inside of the hoop. I then connected each of the circles by drawing in a line tangent to each adjacent circle. Once that was done, it was pretty easy to stitch the cloverleaf/Celtic knot pattern that you should be able to see in the picture below.

Here is the hoop and chalking tool.


And here's the finished quilt. Notice the material used for the back? As it turns out, Lindsey...on the left....has a new sewing machine and took a stab at quilting. Denis...on the right....and yes, I'm spelling his name correctly....brought it in for me to check it out. I noticed right away that she had used a similar material that was light green instead of light blue. I didn't draw any blood biting my tongue, but it was a close thing. And her quilt was a pretty nice looking quilt, too!


The most important reason that I was excited about this project is that it was for Denis and Lindsey. Just take a look at those two. Don't they look like they are a lot of fun. They are. Trust me. It was great to be able to do something nice for them at this special time in their lives.

Share this :

  • Stumble upon
  • twitter

Comments (0)