Monday, June 13, 2011

Down The Grammatic Sewer - I Say Sorry

A pet peeve of mine was recently irritated by a series of stories regarding the fake "lesbian" blogger from Syria.

Misogyny?  Nope.  I'm not in favor of it, but that ain't it.

The spectre of anti-homosexuality?  Again...nope.  I'm not in favor of gay bashing...quite the opposite actually....but that ain't it either.

My peeve?  "Say sorry".

News stories about the fake "lesbian blogger" use some variant of "Blogger says sorry" either as a title or within the body of the story.

Ladies and gentlemen.  Boys and girls.  Friends, Romans, Countrypersons!  Hear me!  The English language has developed a single word that covers this action.  One need not ever use the phrase "say sorry" again.

That word is "apologize".

"I apologize."

"He apologized."

"She offered an apology."

"You should apologize."

not....

"You should 'say sorry'."

No comments: