Tuesday, March 30, 2010

On The Census

I read a lot of criticism aimed and folks...like me....that object to demographic questions included in every census. I'm actually pretty pleased that the Obama administration has opted to pare down the list of questions.

The logic behind that criticism runs something like this.....

The data gathered helps to determine how much money the federal government spends in your community. Responding to the census means that your community will get more federal funds.
The problem with that line of reasoning is that the federal government spends too much money as it is.  I want them to spend less.  How can I use the census to make that happen?

Our census goes back today.  Completing it is a minor patriotic obligation.  I still want a way to use the census to ensure that everyone gets less federal money rather than ensuring that my "community" gets something imagined as a "fair share".

No comments: